Friday 14 October 2016

7 more lessons from Gran - and she's not 36 #FactNotAStatement

I owe so much to my Grandmother . Not only my love for Manchester United & my ability to get the bed pillows standing just right, but for who I am as well. My love of story telling comes from her epic tales of my grandfather, the whaler seaman, who, when angering her would feel the wrath of her temper by having ornaments flung at his ear.

Besides her quirky sense of humour, which she claims doesn't exist, my gran has a way of making anyone in her company feel at home. Along the years she's tried to instill qualities in me and for the most part I think she got it right. (Except for the sailor's mouth I seem to have acquired - although reserved for when the temper strikes). She's taught me so many things, and some I just can't seem to forget, not for lack of trying!

1) Always wear clean, matching, non-broken underwear when going out.
Because you never know if you're going to be in an accident!



2) Eat all the cake and carbs, cos someone will still call you fat.
Mostly her, herself, as she offers me more.



3) It's more important to be happy than to be rich.
But when you're rich make sure to help others feel happy. Also it teaches you the real value of things, not the price.



4) Traditions are necessary.
Whether it's hanging Christmas cards from bygone years across the lounge on a string, or making individual trifle puddings in fancy glasses rather than a bowl of mush. It's the little things that make the best memories.



5) Always treat people with respect.
You never know what battles they are going through. (Or who they might be one day.)



6) Always return Tupperware with a treat in it.
And most importantly, RETURN the Tupperware!


7) And most of all, she taught me class!
And that is by far the hardest one for me to live... especially when every fibre of my being wants nothing more than to tie your intestines around your neck :)



No comments:

Post a Comment